Links, dev stuff, and Naver.com

1234

Links, dev stuff, and Naver.com

MagicalGentleman
This post was updated on .
Hey!
So I was curious about how this project suddenly ceased to be, and decided to channel my google-fu to find as much as I could about what happened. I unfortunately couldn't find any reason other than that he (speculatively) got sick of development. Anyways, I found the odd easter egg along the way and here is one of them. Google gave me a link to a cached user profile page on pewdiepie.net, belonging (at one time) to none other than UnnamedGS! In there, he actually put the time in to properly describe how he got a lot of the obscure stuff needed to get the game to where it is now.
Anyways, without further ado, some copypasta:

I don't really know what to call myself...

I'm just a guy who does computer related creative developer activities. I'm trying to run sort of small little company that does what people want, that we can do. With no charge, free. I'd say it's going pretty well, a steady 350 - 550 hits a day on our site seems too good to be true.

The projects I have the right at the utmost entirety to say I founded successfully are the following from most successful to least):

White Day: A Labyrinth Named School
A strange project I started back in 02/06/12 and still am managing and keeping alive. This is the revamping, cleaning and translating of the 2001 Korean horror game "White Day: A Labyrinth Named School", by 'Sonnori' a Korean game developing company that disbanded due to financial issues around 2004.

I spent about a day looking for a secure download, 4 days trying to install it and get it working, and all the way up till I started this project, raging at how inhumanely disfigured and horrifically bugged it had become. The translation was horrible. I could see the potential behind this layer of crap, in this game. No wonder it had been forgotten by Korea since 2006 and completely unknown in Europe/USA.

So. I decided, for the very few fans of this game, and for the possible new fans on the way, that I would do something about it. I went through so many dodgy sources and talked to so many different people across the internet until I was linked to here: http://ad20thlyan.tistory.com/ . A Korean blog with a guy who was still actively trying to keep White Day alive. I spoke to him and he gave me a file called "noppack.exe". An old tool used to create the cryptic file type used by White Day. Behold, the .NOP file... Anyway, this was no good at all because I couldn't actually get into White Day's contents. It was an PACKER, not an UNPACKER. I found a YouTuber by the name of Kitsune, who supplied the only version for English people (the same version that was unspeakably bad). But that wasn't his fault you see, he didn't make it. He found it from a Spanish blog that I can't hope to find now (they took down the link anyway, so it doesn't matter). Anyway, he somehow got a hold of the file from a long dead Korean website called "Sonnori's WhiteDay The Second Generation" (here), which I believe stop being active somewhere in 2007 or 2006.

So I got the nopunpack.exe and managed to open it up.

I spent around 4 - 6 months patching up this game and making it effortlessly easy to install, adding useful features, translating, eliminating bugs and building up awareness (it wasn't bloody easy, I can tell you that). I have finally almost come to a stop to where I want it. I am so glad this project turned out this great, with a whole new bunch of eager let's players playing this game. It is the most popular I had ever been on the internet :')

So that's my story, and I congratulate you if you came this far. You can breath now
NOTE: If any of the following information is wrong, I hereby declare google translate as the cause:
And yeah, so I clicked through the link for cafe.naver.com/wdlabyrinth and it turns out that there's this user on the site called S Mapleleaf who has just finished developing a revamp of White Day called 'schoolmaze(blackness)'. Apparently, beta tester applications are still open. I applied but I haven't heard back yet, so I don't have any firsthand experience with the game. However! There is a trailer!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MHb7CW_cTJw
I'm not sure what to make of this yet, but it's for sure based on the original game files. Hopefully I'll find more info on it in the future!
Once I get my hands on it, and deem it well and good, I'll probably pop back here and some other places to look for  someone that can help me translate this thing!

Re: How John got stuff, and possible new White Day mod/revamp

hgdagon
The first website is actually Rana Northwood's website. Which offered the only English patch for the game before John came around. John actually used that translation as a starting point, Rana's changelog is still in John's 16.5 patch (continued by John).
As for the second website; it's stored on Korea's most widespread website, Naver.com, and you can't access ANYTHING there, unless you sign up, which I tried, but it seems like as of today it's possible only in Korea.
And finally, Schoolmaze. I actually applied for that beta months ago, but no answer. Maybe they just don't speak English and I should have filled the application in Korean, or may be they just don't want to send the betas outside Korea (which I doubt, since a beta is a beta and internet is worldwide).
Believe me those websites are of no use. If you want some WhiteDay stuff, I've got quite a few WhiteDay-related media and several versions of the game itself.

Re: How John got stuff, and possible new White Day mod/revamp

Ghost_School
Hi, I just joined here. It's too bad the translation project died, there are still some lines of text left untranslated and a couple of persistent bugs. Hopefully we can start modding this game and seeing how how far it goes. I can already view the models fully textured and I'll try to do a quick writeup when I get the time and include the tools as well.

I actually managed to sign up for Naver earlier this year but even then, the White Day page is restricted to Korean users only.

Hgdagon, which versions of the game do you have? I currently have the ECTS (oldversion) demo, v0.81 demo, and the latest demo. Are there any other pre-release or beta versions out there? I'm very interested.

Re: How John got stuff, and possible new White Day mod/revamp

MagicalGentleman
This post was updated on .
When you say that the site can't be accessed, do you mean that you can't even browse? or that you just can't have an account there? I've been able to access the whole thing using your standard chrome + adblock combo. I am browsing from Ireland, so that might make a difference if the website's blocking by ip address. I do see a popup for a second before adblock makes it 'disappear'. From the looks of things I think it was asking for a login.

*shrugs*

Oh, and when I applied for the beta test, I google translated my application to korean, so I'll tell ye if I get any luck!

@hgdagon
That 3dsl link you posted in your forum topic seems to be dead, unfortunately. I landed on a hostname parking site.
If you re-uploaded everything that'd be awesome! (If you have the time, of course)

Re: How John got stuff, and possible new White Day mod/revamp

hgdagon
This post was updated on .
Ghost_School wrote
It's too bad the translation project died, there are still some lines of text left untranslated and a couple of persistent bugs.
Some parts of the game CANNOT be translated. e.g. Music Room Storage, when the lights go out and you can hear scissors (is that a reference to Clock Tower, by the way?). Ji Hyeon's words ARE actually present in the dialog file, but they just don't show up. I consider continuing John's translations, 'cause there are still typos and mistranslations, for example the gym is referenced as "Auditorium" "Lecture Hall" and something else I don't even remember, while it's just a gym and nothing else. I already translated the "Quick Save" message you see when saving in Cheat Mode. Couldn't find the "Valve Handle attached" message ANYWHERE in the game files. Also (I hope) I have fixed the Ceiling Ghost bug in the New Building, 'cause basically it's my fault that the bug is in v15.9; I gave John the dll/exe set, which he then used for 15.9.
I have never released any of this stuff (except for the Ceiling Ghost fix, see link below), because I wanted John to sort of approve/test it before I do anything with it.

Ghost_School wrote
Hopefully we can start modding this game and seeing how how far it goes. I can already view the models fully textured and I'll try to do a quick writeup when I get the time and include the tools as well.
Did you use the 3DS MAX pluging for Pangya models? I forgot the website, but the author was Japanese, if I remember it correctly. Or did you write something on your own? That would be really cool, 'cause I also want to port the game DarkPlaces Engine, the models were always a headache, since I had no means of viewing/converting them.... Will look forward for the tools!

Ghost_School wrote
I actually managed to sign up for Naver earlier this year but even then, the White Day page is restricted to Korean users only.
That's sad... Rana actually says there's a lot of info on WD scripting. There is also an "info.doc" file in Whiteday10.nop, but it's in Korean and all I could understand was that the language is sort of a C-derivative

Ghost_School wrote
Hgdagon, which versions of the game do you have? I currently have the ECTS (oldversion) demo, v0.81 demo, and the latest demo. Are there any other pre-release or beta versions out there? I'm very interested.
Oh, no! That stuff probably hasn't even survived. I did my best but all I could find were just videos/pictures. No actual material. Sorry. What I do have are the ISOs of the released versions of the games. See the link below.

What's an ECTS demo? You mean the one on John's website?

Ok, here's my group on VK  http://vk.com/whitedaylab
It's the most wide-spread European Social Networking website. You can view all the pictures and videos but in order to post or comment on a post you need an account. The website has full English interface, so if you want to...

Also if the post is in Russian only, then it's specifically about my Russian translation of the game, so you probably wouldn't be interested.

superquinn wrote
When you say that the site can't be accessed, do you mean that you can't even browse? or that you just can't have an account there? I've been able to access the whole thing using your standard chrome + adblock combo. I am browsing from Ireland, so that might make a difference if the website's blocking by ip address. I do see a popup for a second before adblock makes it 'disappear'. From the looks of things I think it was asking for a login.
Ok, that website has theads, and most of them redirect you to login page. When you sign up to Naver, you are supposed to input your phone number to receive an "Activation Code", which I did but the code never arrived. Then I email'ed Naver's staff describing my problem. They replied (yes, in English) and gave me a link to another login page, which supoosedl should've worked but it also didn't. And that's basically when I gave up...

superquinn wrote
Oh, and when I applied for the beta test, I google translated my application to korean, so I'll tell ye if I get any luck!
Ok, that would be great.

superquinn wrote
@hgdagon
That 3dsl link you posted in your forum topic seems to be dead, unfortunately. I landed on a hostname parking site.
If you re-uploaded everything that'd be awesome! (If you have the time, of course)
Ah, yes. They switched to another server, here's the new link

http://www.legendsworld.net/adventure/game/5477

My links are those that state "uploaded by hgdagon"

The names (Genuine, Jewel, Bundle, RoP) are not mine, that's how Korean websites refer to them.
Also the "Fix" link is broken (not my fault, sorry) here's a new one

https://mega.co.nz/#!eIRwVbIb!bguJR0L3Q8ATa0gCAs0EQiSB-L4u8CBABLlm1g301g8

Re: How John got stuff, and possible new White Day mod/revamp

Ghost_School
Thanks for your reply.

The only untranslated text I've seen in the game is when Ji-Hyeon is talking about So-Yeong and Seong-Ah. It's great that the Ceiling Ghost bug has been remedied, it gives me a reason to replay the game! Another bug I can think of is that sometimes you can clip into the stairs and get stuck there.

I used a .PET to .MQO converter to view the models in a modelling program called "Metasequoia", but to convert them to a usable format such as .OBJ, you need the registered version. The game maps are in the Half Life .BSP format which I managed to open in the Valve Hammer Editor, but all I remember was that it's annoying to set up, though the maps showed up fully textured. There are even two additional maps that were used in pre-release promo videos to show off the engine. Unfortunately I'm not a programmer and don't know of any tools other than what's been already been released.

The White Day page on Naver has a separate login form, meaning you'd need to know someone in Korea who can get all the information and any programs.

I've looked at the info.doc file before and it should be possible to modify the scripts since they are uncompressed. If you change some values in the scripts, you can make small changes, for example I managed to move the Ji-Hyeon/Seong-Ah models into the main hall, however the scene where you meet Seong-Ah still plays in the same place as before.

ECTS stands for European Computer Trade Show, that's the version John uploaded. It was supposedly stolen from ECTS 2000 and leaked onto the internet. There was a page detailing the beta versions somewhere in Korean, the only people who have anything unreleased are probably the beta testers. Also, Thanks for the link to your page, I will be keeping an eye on it. :)

Re: How John got stuff, and possible new White Day mod/revamp

hgdagon
Ghost_School wrote
I used a .PET to .MQO converter to view the models in a modelling program called "Metasequoia", but to convert them to a usable format such as .OBJ, you need the registered version.
Never heard of this, actually. What I meant was this one. It's for 3DS MAX. I didn't check if it works with WhiteDay .pet's yet.

Ghost_School wrote
Yes, and as such they are extremely editable. Pet models, on the other hand, are Sonnori's internal format, I assume.

Re: How John got stuff, and possible new White Day mod/revamp

MagicalGentleman
I'm gonna take a crack at getting a login for /wdlabrynth.
I figure that I'll have a chance if I use a Korean VPN.

The only hurdle right now is the need for a mobile phone with a Korean area code (+82) to register with naver.
I've found plenty virtual number services, and there's one that I'm pretty confident will work.
Unfortunately, there aren't any free services for Korea, which is a shame as all I need a number for is the confirmation code.

If you've gone down a similar route let me know, I probably won't do anything for a few hours/days

Re: How John got stuff, and possible new White Day mod/revamp

John
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Hi everyone.

I saw this thread just yesterday and I just wanted to let you know that I'm now here if you need anything.

I also tried to register for that white day site and I failed after the phone number part. I don't think my VPN connects to Korea either but I'll give it another go.

I also see you guys managed to open up the models; wow, fantastic. I'll reply to all your emails today dagon, and I'll make a v16 unofficially if we do make some significant changes. I'll bundle in that fix too.

If I had to give an excuse for my absence then I suppose it was a mix between being tired of it and being busy with other matters; either way you have my apologies. Will post again with more detail later today.

Re: How John got stuff, and possible new White Day mod/revamp

MagicalGentleman
This post was updated on .
If you're still looking for a korean vpn, I used www.vpngate.net
It uses OpenVPN and doesn't need passwords or anything. It's a university project in japan if I remember correctly, so it's relatively safe to use.

And don't worry about apologising or whatnot, I know from experience how easy it is to get sick of a project over a long period of time!

EDIT:
Wound up at a dead end with the virtual number for Naver account verification. I can get a Korean number no problem but SMS is not supported, which is what I need. Ah well.
EDIT EDIT:
I gave in and just signed up with my local number. Will see if I can still do something...
1234