No HUD and door handle on Windows 10

123

No HUD and door handle on Windows 10

neuros
I'm talking about this FAQ section:

"Q: When I start playing White Day, there is no UI (cross hair, health indicator etc.), The lights in the bathrooms are off, there is a floating door knob in the middle of the starting area, I can't pause, open inventory, map, phone or diary. But I can pick up items and open doors if I try to. What do I do?"

Got the same problem on Windows 10

I've tried every single solution found on these forums, but nothing worked.
Could please anyone help?

Re: No HUD and door handle on Windows 10

hgdagon
It is currently unknown how the game would run on Win10. But the HUD and doorknob problem is the registry. If you know how Win10 registry works for 32bit apps, edit the .reg file (in the game folder, if you downloaded from ModDB) accordingly and merge it. Presumably, that should solve the problem, but, again, I don't have Win10, and I don't know if it's compatible. Please, post back and tell us how it worked!

Re: No HUD and door handle on Windows 10

Atedos
Hell there! Thanks for the reply!
I am the original poster, didn't even hope there is anyone still active here, but since I was wrong, I decided to register. =))

I tried the registry trick via editing and merging the .reg file, and even editing registry directly, but this didn't help.
I've also read, that no Korean locale may cause the problem, so I tried launching it using HF pAppLoc with no luck. I also tried to install Korean language pack via Windows Control Panel, and it didn't help either.

Re: No HUD and door handle on Windows 10

hgdagon
Did Win10 come with it's own AppLocale? I know My With7 had it when I bought the laptop (or got it from one of the updates). You're giving a pretty firm reason not o update Win10 yet, btw. Anyway, it's definitely the registry, the game's just not reading it correctly. If you can, run with Win95/98 compatibility, see if that works.

Re: No HUD and door handle on Windows 10

Atedos
Well, you can go to Control Panel, Region and Language settings and add Korean Language to the list, after that you can download language pack (takes several minutes to install) and switch interface language to korean, or just use it for inputs (I tried to name folders in Korean, and it worked fine). I don't know if that's what you mean under AppLocale.

I tried to use XP compatibility and it didn't work, I'll try 95/98 if it's there (I remember there was no Win2000, not sure about 95/98)

I definetly don't know what else to do with the registry, I tried every path variation (with single and double slashes), using default and custom install folders with setting their paths in registry respectively and it didn't work.
I didn't try using " (*quotation mark) in the path though, might try it out.

I'm actually pretty desperate to try this game, as it reminds me a lot of SIlent Hill, and even screenshots look pretty scary.
I might even consider trying to set up virtual machine as a last resort, and see if it works there (though I have no experience with it).

Re: No HUD and door handle on Windows 10

hgdagon
A virtual machine running Win98 (like, Korean 98) would be a really good choice. HF pAppLoc is modded version of Microsoft Applocale, made by a community called Hongfire, which is not compatible with Win10, and that's exactly what your problem is. Hongfire themselves suggest these alternatives: Locale Emulator and NTLEA. See if they work.

Re: No HUD and door handle on Windows 10

Atedos
This post was updated on .
Jeez man! THANK YOU A LOT!
Was able to run in OK with NTLEA.
Haven't tried Locale Emulator yet, but will do.
I might even write some instructions for others (I'm not that strong in Korean and all that locales, perhaps you or someone else could correct me on some settings).

Edit: Locale Emulator seems to work well too. It might be simpler, but NTLEA has more settings and can create direct shortcut on the desktop. Also system dialog menus have different fonts on each software. I don't know which one to use now. =\\

Re: No HUD and door handle on Windows 10

hgdagon
You're welcome! I'll help with all I can. Tell me how Locale Emulator worked and I'll make a separate post about Win10. As for the settings, there's not much to do, I've described it here.

Re: No HUD and door handle on Windows 10

Atedos
This post was updated on .
Well, I meant those software settings, not the game ones.

You just install the game normally (v16 for example) into default folder
Then download the latest version of Locale Emulator here: http://xupefei.github.io/Locale-Emulator/
Extract, run LEInstaller.exe and click Install / Upgrade
Then run LEGUI.exe
Under Location Settings choose Korean
Put any Timezone you wish
Leave everything else by default (In Advanced Options only Apply registry redirection checked, no check for Show this profile in main menu in Miscellaneous section).
Basically you only change Location and, if you wish, - Timezone.
Press Save As ... and type any name for the profile, i.e. Korean.
Close the window and navigate to game's folder
Right-click on whiteday.exe and in context-menu select Locale Emulator -> Your Profile Name (i.e. Korean)
That's it. Open Device Settings, and if you see correct Korean symbols in system dialog - it means you are pretty much ok and the game should run smooth.

You don't even need to install HF pAppLoc for this.
If you install in other than default folder, change the path in whiteday.reg respectively and then merge it.

Re: No HUD and door handle on Windows 10

Atedos
Yet I wonder, why such difference in the fonts for Locale Emulator and NTLEA?
May it have any impact on games text or performance?

http://i.imgur.com/f5a0eFc.jpg
123